Wednesday, August 19, 2009

From Geoff Anderson via John Allen "Saint" Franciscus glee club and whiffs of 54

This brought back a flood of memories. I was on the Yale Glee Club South America tour of the summer of 1968, and our last stop on the six-week trip was Puerto Rico, and I was one of the three or four of us that stayed with you in your house while we were there.

We had great times. I remember particularly the adventure of donning bathing suits and testing the swimming pools in the back yards of all your neighbors (without their evident consent) by climbing over fences and/or hedges as we went from yard to yard.

I also remember that you were a great and jolly host and it was a rollicking good time.

Also, I remember that you and five other couples were the main sponsors of our concert at the Tapia Theater, and that you commissioned a work of art to be used on the beautiful lithographed poster that publicized the concert. It was a white on black female nude playing a flute or recorder, and was very elegant. We each got one, I think (I did, anyway), and that poster (framed) has hung on the wall next to my various pianos ever since, and today hangs over my ebony eight-foot Bechstein. They are a perfect pair! Your name, of course, is at the bottom of the poster, along with those of the five other sponsors.

So, just thought I’d let you know all this, and thank you again for your generous hospitality in 1968. As I said, it was our last stop on the tour, and it was great that we immediately felt at home with you because of your welcoming good spirits, even though we weren’t really quite home yet! It still felt like a homecoming after a long journey.

I hope you are well, and I hope you enjoyed your reunion.

All the best,

Geoff Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment